If you have an exquisite research idea and are interested in joining our international doctoral school research community in the fields of music and performing arts and their interdisciplinary variants and pluralistic methodologies, you are welcome to apply to our Dr. artium programme. For this, make sure you carefully read the FAQs, admission requirements and syllabus, and acquaint yourself with the current doctoral projects before writing a 7-12 page research proposal which makes explicit how you plan to address it via a combined artistic and scholarly research method. With a well developed proposal you may then approach internal supervisors (ideally in or before December each year). Upon finding two internal supervisors willing to support your envisaged doctoral project, you can then submit the finalised application during February to enter a 3-stage selection process.
Doctoral Studies in Artistic Research are intensive and time consuming. They require not only practical artistic, academic, and written work, as well as audiovisual and other forms of documentation within your project; they also require sufficient periods of residency in Graz (and partly Zurich) to enable productive contact with 2 supervisors, to attend a range of blocked seminars/lectures, and to engage in peer discourse with other doctoral candidates.
The current application deadline is February 28, 2020 for the academic year starting October 2020. Late applications will not be considered.
1. A Master's degree or Diplom (Master's level equivalent) in the fields of Music or Performing Arts
2. A substantial artistic vita
3. Competence in English
Please read the FAQs for detailed information on the following steps.
1. Write a convincing research proposal that meets the criteria for artistic research according to the Graz Model.
2. Find one artistic and one academic supervisor at KUG (professor or assistant professor) or ZHdK professor who work in your field of interest and who approve of your proposal and agree to support your project.
3. Please send the following supporting documents in A SINGLE PDF FILE by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org: The maximum e-mail size (including all attachments) is 19MB. If your e-mail exceeds this limit, please send us your supporting documents through a file transfer service such as Dropbox or Google Drive, and clearly indicate the service you are using, as well as specific download instructions.
For further administrative questions please consult Ms. Mag.a Marlene Schnepfleitner email@example.com